Job Description – School Council Executive Member
School Council Executive Members are a critical part of the Adam Beck community. Executive members shape the work of council by making decisions on behalf of the parent body, including deciding how council spends money, what issues to advocate for and where to focus parent engagement.
Parent/guardian members of the school council executive must regularly attend council meetings and more!
Responsibilities include the following:
- Attend and participate in more than 70% of school council meetings.
- Volunteer your time and/or talents on an ad hoc basis. Plan to step up at least once throughout the year if you are able. For example, last year executive members were asked to help write a new bylaw or represent Adam Beck at our trustee’s regular ward meeting.
- Participate in at least one school council committee (Monsterbash, Spirit, etc.). The chair/co-chairs will put out a call for volunteers in September.
- Participate in and volunteer at school council events.
- Solicit views of other parents/guardians and share them with school council.
- Help disseminate accurate council-related information to the school community, through your own networks or by sharing info on social media.
How to apply
Fill out a nomination form in early September, before the first council meeting, to apply to join the executive. Past members must re-apply every year.
For September 2020, nomination forms must be submitted by end of day Tuesday, September 22, 2020. If we receive more than 20 nominations, a vote will be held on Wednesday, September 23, 2020, to choose the 20 parent executive members.
Click here to fill out the nomination form through Google docs.
What is the school council executive?
The school council executive must have at least 5 parent members and no more than 20. Parent members of the school council executive are elected members with voting rights. The school council chair/co-chairs, treasurer(s) and secretary are also members of the school council executive. The principal, a teacher, a staff member and a community member are also executive members.