School council by-laws outline how the school council operates. They bring clarity and transparency to how the school council operates and facilitate a consistent process year-over-year.
The Education Act Regulation 612/00 mandates that each school council adopts a set of by-laws that meet at a minimum a set of requirements identified in the Act.
The Adam Beck School Council by-laws address a variety of topics such as school council membership, composition, terms of office, roles and responsibilities of various positions, how decisions are made, meeting frequency and requirements, how to conduct elections for the school council and what is the process for filling vacancies. The document includes a code of ethics for council members and outlines conflict resolution processes.
Adam Beck School Council By-laws (updated November 2020)
Other legislation, policies and guidelines
- Ontario Regulation Reg. 612/00: School Councils and parent involvement committees
- Ontario Regulation 298: Operation of Schools – General
- Toronto District School Board policies, procedures and forms
- Toronto District School Board: School councils
- Toronto District School Board: Fundraising
School council operations
- Ontario Ministry of Education: School Councils: A Guide for Members
- Parent Involvement Advisory Committee (TDSB) – resources for parent school councils
- PIAC’s School Council Toolkit – a quick guide to school council operations